LILIANA J. TAYLOR
Education activist, creative writer, aspiring biochemist.
Orange County School of the Arts (OCSA), Creative Writing Conservatory, Santa Ana, CA
GPA 4.68 weighted academic 10-12; SAT (old) Writing 740 Reading 690 Math 690.
SAT (new) Reading & Writing 710 Math 720 Writing 24.
AP Scholar with Distinction: World History 4. Calculus AB 4. Calculus BC 4. Biology 4. US History 5.
English Language 5. Enrolled: Physics, English Literature, Government, Macroeconomics, Spanish.
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
Spanish 3, 2 semesters high school credit (summer 2015)
HONORS & AWARDS
Orange County Film Festival: Best of Show, 1st Place, Division Winner (2015) Wrote film that debuted to hundreds at OC Fair.
Newport Beach Film Festival (2015) Wrote screenplay for official selection in narrative feature.
OCSA Creative Writing Conservatory Finalist: Outstanding Screenwriting (2016, 2015), Outstanding Freshman (2014).
Accolades National Anthology (2013) Published in America Library of Poetry’s journal. Selected from thousands of submissions.
Spanish National Honors Society (2014-present) Honored for language skills. Tutor Spanish IV & I. Write for society’s newsletter.
California Scholarship Federation (2013-present) Named to state academic honor society. Tutor peers.
Research Assistant/Media Intern, Chapman University (2016, summer 2015)
- Conducted research for Chair of Journalism’s book projects, including collaboration with Los Angeles Times Op-Ed Editor.
- Developed press release packets with articles, photos, quotes. Compiled and analyzed statistical data. Edited and proofread.
EDUCATION ACTIVISM & SOCIAL JUSTICE
Co-President, National Honor Society (2016-present)
- Coordinate over 200 students. Delegate leadership in organization. Initiate new officers/members. Liaise with OCSA admin.
- Community Service Coordinator (2015-2016) Secured new partner nonprofits. Organized 2-3 service events/month.
Education Coordinator, Angel Covers Foundation (2007-present)
- Facilitate donor communications for international nonprofit empowering Tibetan girls through educational opportunities.
- Four trips to China to assess school conditions and student need, arrange nutritional/health support, provide media coverage.
Summer NGO Intern, Machik (summer 2016)
- 40hrs/week for DC nonprofit improving opportunities for Tibet: Created communication material, received diversity training.
Founder/President, OCSA International Nonprofits for Kids Club (2015-present)
- Educate student body on East Asian cultures. Facilitated pen-pal cultural exchange between OCSA & Tibetan students.
Literacy Tutor, OC Public Schools and Libraries (2010-present)
- Read books weekly with ages 3-10. Teach reading/writing in 4th grade and kindergarten classrooms (Weaver Elementary).
Counselor, China Heritage Camp (summer 2016, summer 2015, & summer 2012)
- After over 10 years attendance as camper, lead groups of fellow adoptees in sessions on Chinese culture and adoption.
Board Member/Teacher, Congregation Ner Tamid (2013-2015)
- Organized Shabbat dinners and monthly activities for 40 students. Taught culture, Hebrew language, Israeli current events.
WRITING & EDITING
Editor, Inkblot Literary Magazine (2016-present)
- Publish National Council of Teachers of English Highest Award-winning magazine. Evaluate, proofread, edit submissions.
- Represent OCSA Creative Writing Conservatory at school events, national conferences. Liaise with conservatory students.
OCSA Creative Writing Conservatory (2013-present)
- 10 hours/week training in screenwriting, fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry. 32 courses total taught by professional writers.
- Highly-selective admission by portfolio, application, interview, academic performance.
Lead Teacher, Community Arts Outreach (2014-2017)
- After 2 years of assisting in the classroom, won lead teacher position to teach creative writing to low-income primary school.
Research Intern, University of Oklahoma Biochemistry Lab, Professor Si Wu (summer 2016)
- Researched fungal growth. Tested novel platforms for proteomics characterization via HPLC. Researched biofuel production.
Student Representative, PRIM&R Advancing Ethical Research Conference (2016)
- Sponsored by PRIM&R and the Presidential Comm. for the Study of Bioethics. Mentored by Exec. Director, Dr. Lisa M. Lee
University of Oklahoma Engineering Days (summer 2015)
- Only sophomore admitted to Biomedical Engineering & Computer Science intensive weekend workshop with OU faculty